Paresh Ranpara Joins Grid India as Director, Human Resources

Paresh Ranpara has joined the Grid Controller of India (effective 31.05.2023) as Director, Human Resources. Ranpara has almost three decades of experience as an HR professional in the power sector. His professional experience entails his role as the General Manager of Human Resources at Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd (GUVNL). The newly appointed Director of […]

Read more

IEX Gets CERC Approval For High Price Day Ahead Market (HPDAM) Trading

In an interesting development that will benefit the high variable cost generators to participate in the power trading market, the Indian Energy Exchange (IEX) has got final approval from the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) to introduce trading in High Price Day Ahead Market (HP-DAM) contracts. The move, and approval by the CERC was necessitated […]

Read more

Costs Related to REC Certificates Hiked 2x to 10X By CERC

In an order dated Dec 9, the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission has accepted the demand of the National Load Despatch Centre (NLDC), the designated entity for registration and issuance of REC (Renewable Energy Certificates) to increase charges linked to the certificates. NLDC had submitted that it was losing money in the whole process, and consequently, […]

Read more

CERC Issues New Rules For Allocation Of Transmission Corridors For Power Trading

Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) ordered on May 9 that the allocation of transmission corridor among the Power Exchanges shall be governed by a new set of principles from June 1. A bench of four judges under the chairmanship of IS Jha ruled that the old order of 04.04.2016 extending priority allocation of 10% in […]

Read more

In Blow To Power Reforms, Key Provisions In Draft Electricity Bill (amendment) 2021, Dropped

The Draft electricity amendment bill (2021), whose withdrawal was one of the demands of the agitating farmers, has gone through some major changes after ‘feedback’ from ‘stakeholders’. And it is clear who has been winning the arguments, if one goes through the (dropped) changes that have been shared by the sources in the Power Ministry. […]

Read more

CERC Agrees With Tata Motors, Allows One time Relaxation For Issue of RECs

In an interesting order published yesterday, the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) has provided relief to Tata Motors (petitioner), on a plea the latter made against the respondent, National Load Despatch Centre (NLDC) in  the matter of issuance of the Renewable Energy Certificates to the Petitioner for the specified period. The Issue: Tata Motors, which […]

Read more

Power Minister R.K. Singh Kicks Off GDAM Market In India

R K Singh, Union Minister of Power & New and Renewable Energy, launched the new market segment, Green Day Ahead Market (GDAM) on October 25. The start of this market, combined with free ISTS for renewable energy projects and Open access permissions within 15 days should be a paradigm shift for the market, according to […]

Read more

IEX Market Sees 5 Percent Growth to Reach 4790 MUs in June

The electricity market at the IEX witnessed a total trade of 4,790 MUs in June, recording a 5 percent year-on-year increase The electricity market at the Indian Energy Exchange (IEX) witnessed a total trade of 4,790 million units (MUs) in June, recording a 5 percent year-on-year increase despite the national peak demand registering a 10 percent decline during the month. Increased economic […]

Read more

Peak Power Demand Continues Fall, Down 28% Since March 20

Peak power demand in the country dipped over 28% to 117.76 GW on Saturday – March 28, as compared to 163.72 GW on March 20 Peak power demand in the country dipped over 28 percent to 117.76 gigawatts (GW) on Saturday – March 28, 2020, as compared to 163.72 GW on March 20, showing the impact of nationwide lockdown […]

Read more