Tata Power to now Operate the Entire Distribution System in Odisha

Tata Power will now serve the entire population of the state of Odisha after it secured LOI to operate the north eastern distribution system

Tata Power, India’s largest integrated power utility, has announced that it has received the Letter of Intent (LOI) from the Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC) for the distribution and retail supply of electricity in Odisha’s five circles of NESCO constituting the areas of Balasore, Bhadrak, Baripada, Jajpur and Keonjhar. As per conditions of bid documentation Tata Power will hold 51 percent equity with management control and the State-owned GRIDCO will have the remaining 49 percent equity stake in the company. With the inclusion of additional distribution utility of Odisha, Tata Power will now serve the entire population of the state of Odisha with nearly 9 million consumers.

This expansion will enhance Tata Power consumer base to nearly 12 million from the present base of 9.6 million across Mumbai, New Delhi, Ajmer, Central, Southern and Western parts of Odisha.

Dr. Praveer Sinha, CEO & MD, Tata Power said, “It is a proud moment to have been given the opportunity to serve the people of Odisha. We are committed to providing reliable, affordable and quality power supply along with superior customer service, backed by innovative technology. We are thankful to the Odisha Government and Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission for giving us this opportunity and reaffirming Tata Power’s commitment to ‘Lighting up Lives’ for the people of Odisha.”

With this takeover, the company’s distribution circles will expand to the North Eastern Electricity Supply Company of Odisha Limited (NESCO) with a geographical spread of more than 27,500 sq. km and shall serve over 1.9 million consumers with annual input energy of 5450 MUs. It will manage a network of more than 90,000 ckt. km. for a license period of 25 years.

Earlier this month, the firm had announced that it had taken over the management and operations of WESCO and SOUTHCO in Odisha upon completion of the sale process. WESCO and SOUTHCO will operate under the company name TP Western Odisha Distribution Limited (TPWODL) and TP Southern Odisha Distribution Limited (TPSODL) respectively.

TPWODL will now be responsible for the distribution and retail supply of electricity in five circles of WESCO covering 2 million consumers with annual input energy of 7520 MUs in areas of Rourkela, Burla, Bhawanipatna, Bolangir, Bargargh, while TPSODL will be responsible for the distribution covering 2.3 million consumers with an average energy input of 3470 MUs and retail supply of electricity in six circles of SOUTHCO in areas of Ganjam City, Berhampur, Aksa, Bhanjannagar, Jeypore and Rayagada.

"Want to be featured here or have news to share? Write to info[at]saurenergy.com
Ayush Verma

Ayush Verma

Ayush is a staff writer at saurenergy.com and writes on renewable energy with a special focus on solar and wind. Prior to this, as an engineering graduate trying to find his niche in the energy journalism segment, he worked as a correspondent for iamrenew.com.

      SUBSCRIBE NEWS LETTER
Scroll