Delhi Airport Becomes India’s First 100% Sustainable Airport

Highlights :

Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport has switched to hydro and solar power for its consumption needs from June 1, making it India’s first airport to run entirely on a combination of these forms of green energy.

Since June 1, around 6 per cent of the airport’s electricity requirement is being met from on-site solar power plants, while the remaining 94 per cent energy is coming from a hydropower plant

Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport is India’s busiest major international airports Airports tend to be placed with high energy consumption and carbon emissions. Recently, Delhi Airport tweeted that it will achieve a net-zero target by 2030.

facebook twitter linkdin instagram

Now, they have announced that from June 1, the airport will be completely switched to hydro & solar energy for its energy requirements.. With this initiative, it has become the first airport in India to be completely powered by renewable energy.

Along with this they also told that 6% of the airport’s energy requirement is fulfilled from on-site solar energy & the remaining 94% is coming from hydropower plants.

Delhi’s Indira Gandhi Worldwide Airport spoken person stated, “The photo voltaic installation is on the airside and roofs of the cargo terminals of the IGI airport. For hydropower, DIAL has signed a long-term energy buy settlement (PPA) with a Himachal Pradesh-based hydropower producing firm for the availability of hydroelectricity to the airport till 2036.”

This airport has a 7.84 MW solar energy plant and a 5.3 MW rooftop solar energy plant is extended recently on the cargo terminal.

According to the operator, switching to renewable energy will help the airport reduce energy emissions by 2 lakh tonnes of carbon dioxide per year. The airport announced its ambition to become a net-zero carbon emission airport by the year 2030 in November of the previous year.

Indira Gandhi International airport’s other green initiatives include green buildings, green mobility options including electric cars, improving operational effectiveness to reduce emissions, and managing greenhouse gases (GHG) as part of the Airport Council International’s (ACI) Airport Carbon Accreditation.

"Want to be featured here or have news to share? Write to info[at]saurenergy.com
      SUBSCRIBE NEWS LETTER
Scroll